Are you a citizen of a foreign country looking to enter the United States? You will need a visa. But before that happens, you need a qualified immigration law attorney in Dallas TX who can help guide you through the process. Said visa will be included in the traveler’s passport and acts as a travel document put forth by the traveler’s country of citizenship, according to the U.S. Department of State. Obtaining a visa will allow you to travel to an airport, port of entry or land border crossing to ask for permission to enter by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector.
Having a visa doesn’t always mean you’re automatically going to get in. It just indicates that the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad agrees you are eligible to ask for entry for a specific purpose and particular period of time. There are many facets of the law when it comes to obtaining a visa. which is why you need an attorney on your side to help you navigate this complex process. If you are looking to enter Texas to visit family or friends or obtain employment, it’s imperative that you complete all forms correctly, as leaving out information or filling it out wrong can harm your chances of obtaining a visa. Yes, you can re-apply later but you will have to shell out more money and waste more of your time — luxuries many people simply don’t have.

Types of Visas

There are many types of visas and they can be confusing. You must apply for the right one for your purposes.
  • Student: There are two sub-types of student visas: F visas and M visas. You will need the F-1 visa if you are planning to seek an education here at a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, or conservatory. If you have dependents, they can apply for an F-2 visa in order to stay with you. With an F-2 visa, you can’t work here but you can go to a public school. If you plan to attend a non-academic vocational school, you will need to apply for an M visa. In order to get a student visa, you have to apply to the school first, then complete the I-20 form and submit the form DS-160 application with photo. If you are between the ages of 14 and 79, you may have to be interviewed by a consular officer.
  • Tourist: You’ll need a B visa if you simply plan on visiting the United States for a limited period of time. The B-1 visa allows for a temporary stay for business, while the B-2 allows for a temporary stay for tourism or visiting family members. You have to be able to prove to the consular officer that you intend to return to your country of origin once the visa is up. Approval is at the discretion of the officer.
  • Work: You will need a work visa if you plan to work in the United States for a set period of time. You will find that there are multiple types of work visas, such as for agricultural and non-agricultural employees, artists and entertainers, individuals with special skills, those looking for specialized training that is not available to them in their country of origin, and those who work for global corporations and are transferring here from an international branch.

If you are seeking a visa of any type, your first call should be to an immigration attorney in Dallas.

Contact D&N Law Group in Dallas

D&N Law Group, based in Irving TX, specializes in immigration issues and as such we understand the sensitive nature of these situations. We can help you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please contact us at 972-252-0886 or fill out our online form.